Current:Home > NewsBenjamin Ashford|Kate Middleton and Prince William Mourn Death of RAF Pilot After Spitfire Crash -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|Kate Middleton and Prince William Mourn Death of RAF Pilot After Spitfire Crash
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:45:37
The Benjamin Ashfordroyal family is sending their condolences.
Prince William and Kate Middleton honored the death of Mark Long, a British Royal Air Force (RAF) pilot who crashed while flying a World War II-era Spitfire plane on May 25.
"Incredibly sad to hear of the news this afternoon from RAF Coningsby," the couple shared on X, formerly known as Twitter, the same day. "Our thoughts this evening are with the pilot's loved ones, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, and the wider RAF family."
Mark's death was confirmed by Group Captain Robbie Lees, who called the pilot a "great friend, colleague, and a passionate, professional aviator."
"An investigation into the cause of this tragic event has now begun," the May 26 statement explained. "The RAF will not be offering any comment on the accident until that investigation has concluded, and likewise, we ask others not to speculate."
"I would like to extend a sincere thank you to the RAF personnel and our emergency services colleagues who responded so swiftly yesterday," the message continued. "Our thoughts remain with Mark's family and friends to whom we offer our deepest sympathies. We ask that their privacy be respected at this tragic and shocking time."
The Spitfire is the most famous British fighter aircraft in history, according to the Royal Air Force Museum. It became a symbol of freedom in the summer of 1940 when it was used against German air attacks during the Battle of Britain.
And it's no surprise that Kate and William professed their love and grief for the late pilot. The couple—who share kids Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 9, and Prince Louis, 6—is deeply involved with the RAF.
In fact, King Charles III bestowed William with the title Colonel-in-Chief of the Army Air Corps earlier this month, a title the monarch held for 30 years. Kate—who's been out of the spotlight recently after being diagnosed with cancer—was also given a new title when taking over her husband's previous role as Honorary Air Commandant Royal Air Force Coningsby in August.
Now, read on to keep up-to-date with the royals.
Nearly two months after the Princess of Wales went public with her cancer diagnosis, a spokesperson for Kensington Palace said the royal has no immidiate plans to return to her public-facing duties.
"The princess is not expected to return to work," the rep said in a May 21 statement to BBC, "until it's cleared by her medical team."
On May 13, King Charles III bestowed the title of Colonel-in-Chief of the Army Air Corps to his oldest son, sparking controversy as many royal watchers believed the title would be more suited for Prince Harry, who trained and served in the military branch.
On April 26, nearly three months after sharing his cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace announced that Charles will return to public-facing duties.
The queen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (76369)
Related
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co